21 September 2005

Does this train go to Times Square?

After a three year hiatus I have returned to work in the urban jungle known as New York City. It was daunting and exciting all at the same time -- having lived in Manhattan for a bunch of years, then move out to the 'burbs to live and work was quite a culture shock. But like all things I adjusted. Suburban life is actually quite nice -- hell, I grew up out in farm country on the east end of Long Island (yes, it really does exist out there!)


As much as I love NYC, there are things about it that don't appeal to my aging sensibilities. For instance, when I arrived in Penn Station that first morning I watched as all the busy worker bees buzzed around each other, pushing and shoving their way up stairwells, cutting each other off in the expansive arrivals hall, and fighting to be the first in line to go through the subway turnstiles. I thought to myself, "Dammit, I refuse to be that person again!" Well, fast forward two weeks and I AM that person again. And I hate it. I catch myself and then say, "hold back, Mikey. It's not worth it."

Last night as I was heading home I was stepping onto the subway when a crowd of people pushed in from behind me and I nearly toppled into passengers in front of me. Mind you, the doors weren't closing, it was just a bunch of unruly and impatient people trying to rush onto the train. After I gathered myself together once again, the train was full. I mean F U L L. Yet they were still trying to push their way in. After the train doors tried to close three or four times, and getting jostled, pushed and dirty looks I finally blurted out "Where the fuck are we, Tokyo???" I guess someone near the doors thought the same thing because the next thing I know, a guy is shoving another one off the train who was holding the doors. As the doors closed, the rest of the passengers clapped, and off we went.

I guess its a good thing for me to take a train home, after dealing with NYC businesspeople and subway nightmares, it's good to wind down the day before I get home. But I still miss my 15 minute commute.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chox said...

Good lord. It's like the N-Judah in San Francisco on steroids.

Don't get too jaded...even if I wish I was there instead of here.

18:04  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home